Friday, June 28, 2019

FLASH FICTION CONTEST #5

I’m climbing up a tall mountain. The ground is slippery with dew and the morning air is already warm and sticky. When I get to the top, I see a cave. I move quietly and quickly towards it. Inside, the cave is dark. I light my lantern and continue moving forward. Tiny things crunch under my feet. I look down and see the skeleton of many small animals. A huge snakeskin lies off to the side of the cave. I shudder. Eventually, I get to a broad cavern. A snake, bigger than anything you could imagine, lies in the middle. It’s blue scales glow in the lantern light. I suck in a breath. My hands shake, my sword shaking with it. Suddenly, it opens one of its eyes. It is bright yellow. 

“Hello,” it says, ”I’ve been expecting you.” 

“What do you mean?” I ask.

 “I knew you were coming.”

“Snake, meet your end. I have come to slay you!” I say.


 It doesn't answer. I race towards it but before I can react it butts me with its head. I slam into the wall. “I am not your enemy,” it says, right before I black out. When I wake up, the snake is gone.

2 comments: